Saturday, March 18, 2006

Greasy Hands (Car Trouble)

Yesterday, I drove down to Middletown to help my coworker move computers back up to the office in East Providence. I drove all the way down there, but coming back, my transmission started acting up. The thing wouldn't shift, and I had to really slam it around to get it to change gears.

It's a manual.

I've been hearing a whine for a couple weeks, but I thought it was the front right wheel bearing. Guess I was wrong.

Today, my brother helped me change the transmission oil. We took a little over a quart out, and poured 2.5 quarts in. I also noticed some leakage around the drain and fill plugs. The dealer probably didn't tighten the nuts enough during the 50k service (62k now).

I just hope I didn't fry the 5th gear. If I did, then I'll try to get the dealer to replace it free, but I might end up just replacing the tranny with a 6-speed.

This is the first time I've gotten my hands dirty on my car, and also the first time I've been under it. I was absolutely shocked at how simple and well-laid-out it is from underneath.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home