Monday, April 03, 2006

Heavy with Humdidy

It rained last night, and now it's quite humid. There's no sun yet, and the temperature is still cool, but I am feeling the heaviness of the air.

I'm not particularly sure about moving down here. The job market is undeniably hot, but do I really want to live and work in D.C.? I would be moving only for the money, which is contrary to what I've done with my life so far. On the other hand, it might be worthwhile to spend a year or two earning enough money to jumpstart a house or investing.

The job market here is insane. Java, .NET, Oracle lead, with PHP, VB, and even COBOL making a showing. Unfortunately for me, I do not have a degree or credentials. Therefore, the initial period working here would be a little rough.

But, for the first time, I see a path up. A BA in Business Administration/Management coupled with a couple good Java and Linux certifications pays off to the tune of $60k to $100k. I've seen some positions advertising even more. My price is $60k.

Funny thing, Providence College offers a continuing ed BA in Business Administration.

Now, Brad isn't going to wait even a few months for me to figure this stuff out. It's either take it or leave it. For now, I think I'm going to leave it. I will ask my advisors, and do some research, but I'm pretty sure about the answer.

Brad's offer to let me stay here is a very good one, but not that good for me, especially considering that I wouldn't be moving here without first securing a job. If I decide to come here at a later date, I'd be making enough money to pay for whatever lodging is available.

And I do need to return home, because I have work commitments I must complete. My family should have my assistance during our upcoming move, as well.

The only thing that could tie me to Providence long-term would be a girlfriend. Heidi is out of my life, and she's probably moving to London in a few months. I guess moving to DC would be an interesting way to move on from the memories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home